Your source for information on the latest and greatest in reading arts and entertainment!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

 Happy Birthday William Faulkner!

Today would have been Faulkner's 116th birthday. Faulkner was the winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1949.

"I feel that this award was not made to me as a man, but to my work - a life's work in the agony and sweat of the human spirit, not for glory and least of all for profit, but to create out of the materials of the human spirit something which did not exist before. So this award is only mine in trust. It will not be difficult to find a dedication for the money part of it commensurate with the purpose and significance of its origin. But I would like to do the same with the acclaim too, by using this moment as a pinnacle from which I might be listened to by the young men and women already dedicated to the same anguish and travail, among whom is already that one who will some day stand here where I am standing." - from William Faulkner's Nobel Prize acceptance speech.


Your Merrick Library has the following classic Faulkner titles.
 Come in and revisit this fascinating author.

Absalom, Absalom
As I Lay Dying
Collected Stories of William Faulkner
The Hamlet
Intruder in the Dust
Light in August
Mosquitoes
Sanctuary
Selected Short Stories of William Faulkner
and last but certainly not least, my personal favorite,
The Sound and the Fury

No comments:

Post a Comment